Mondane and her husband Laban from Bordeaux, were leading lights of the Christian faith in the 8th century. They founded the Abbey of Calviac and their son, St Sacerdose became bishop of Limoges and later the Patron Saint of Sarlat. Laban died at Calviac and Mondane retired to a cave near a spring close by. She left her retreat to fight the Saracens, where she was killed in battle by the chief. She died on the tomb of her son Sacerdose. Soon after this event, miracles started to occur both in the village and in the cave, where it was thought she had been buried. By the 9th Century, this area had become an important pilgrimage site. In 1153, the church of Sainte Mondane belonged to the Abbey of Sarlat and was also answerable to the priory of Calviac.
The date of construction for the Presbytery remains uncertain. However, records show that in 1750 the Presbytery was inhabited by Jean Bourdet, the priest of Calviac.
As a result of the French revolution, Antoine Freyssenge, a local farmer acquired the Presbytery.
On the 27th of October 1819, Antoine Freyssenge bequeathed the entire estate to the parish of Sainte Mondane: «the aforementioned Presbytery situated on the rock, consisting of a kitchen, three bedrooms, a living room, a pigeonnier, a chapel and a garden». He wishes that this house «serves to house a priest to serve the aforementioned commune of Sainte-Mondane».
The last known lease for the Presbytery and its dependents dates from the 1st of January 1928. In it the local mayor, Elie Dutour, leases the property to Marcel Desqueyrat, the priest of Sainte Mondane.
On the 1st of June 1970, Jean Rougié acquired the Presbytery at auction. In 2004 he donated it to his son Jacques. Extensive major renovation work was then undertaken.
Their daughter, Caroline Rougié, a graduate of L'École Hôtelière of Lausanne in Switzerland is the new owner. Having earned her stripes whilst working for several years within a luxury Parisien hotel, she welcomes today, alongside her assistant Marianne an international clientele.